Friday, July 22, 2011

Day Twelve

MOAR SpaceChem! Though as I play it, I'm finding I don't like the boss fights very much. A puzzle game with boss fights? Yes. They're not horrible, it's just that they change the game in a way that I find less enjoyable than the other levels. They're the only levels so far that have manual control elements. They don't provide statistics to review or to compare to other users once you beat it. It changes the game play for the (slightly) worse.

That said, it's not nearly as annoying as some games have been in this vein. The one the jumps to mind immediately for me is Crysis. If you're not familiar, Crysis is a first person shooter where you're a bad ass ninja of a soldier with a fantastic suit with super powers and stealth. For the first part of the game, you're running or sneaking through the jungle killing other soldiers. There are some vehicles in the game, but you can certainly play without them quite easily.

Until the god damned tank level. So here's a game where you've been playing for hours as a dude on foot with firearms. Suddenly, you're thrust into a level where you must pilot a tank and kill other tanks with it. So the the controls are different. The enemies are different. The weapons are different. The strategy is different. What on Earth possessed the game designers to make me play a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT GENRE of game in the middle of my rather enjoyable FPS experience. If I wanted to play a tank simulator, I would have purchased a tank simulator. And it would have been better than this stupid fucking level because it would have been designed by a team of tank simulator designers, not a team of FPS designers.

If that wasn't enough, they shit the bed again later in the game and put in a level where you have to pilot an aircraft the whole time. For fuck's sake. I don't want to play helicopter! I want to play run around and shoot people. That's why I bought the run around and shoot people game. You felt the sick need to make me play yet another genre of game with yet another control scheme, strategy and weapons set. Ugh.

I hope one day that the person or people responsible for this type of shit are sitting down to a lovely steak dinner. And I hope that their perfectly cooked, perfectly seasoned filet mignon is giving them great pleasure. And then right in the middle of it, some jerk walks up and shoves a big, sweaty fist full of fruit cake in their mouth.

Assholes.

Games Played: 
SpaceChem
Crysis (in 2008)

Achievements: 
Not tonight but I did eventually beat that stupid VTOL level in Crysis.

No comments: