Sunday, July 24, 2011

Day Fourteen

I played SpaceChem a good bit this morning, but after two complete resets on a level, I wasn't making any forward progress. I learned long ago in my professional career that if you're not making forward progress on an issue for a while, you need to step away and go do something else. You will not solve thinking tasks by brute force if you can't see the path from where you are now. That just leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering. I'm hoping the solution is bloody obvious tomorrow, because man, this one is kicking my ass and taunting me along the way.

My mental vacation from the chemical mines of SpaceChem took me to City 17. I fired up a start from the very beginning new game of Half-Life 2. What an absolute treasure this game is. I'm sure it's been written about thousands of times by now, but the attention to detail and the tone that gets set is just so very spot on. They creepiness of the Combine and the crushed spirits of the humans of City 17 is just masterfully done. Anyone who doubts video games as a legitimate art form need only play even a few hours of Half-Life 2.

Games Played: 
SpaceChem
Half-Life 2

Achievements: 
H-L 2 - Submissive "PICK UP THAT CAN!" "Okay. . . :-("
H-L 2 - Malcontent
H-L 2 - Trusty Hardware

No comments: