Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Day Seventeen

A few weeks ago Valve converted Team Fortress 2 from a $9.99 game to a free to download and play game. Being a cheap bastard, this is right at my price point. I'd considered picking up a copy before, but I haven't played multiplayer FPS since way back in the old days when I was on a Quake 2 CTF clan, so I figured my skills probably weren't up to snuff in a multiplayer only game.

After playing TF2 tonight, that seems to have been an accurate assessment of my skills. I didn't even get into playing against other humans yet, just the tutorial and one round of bot populated "Offline Practice" mode. I set the bots on Normal difficulty and my feeble play was enough to lead my team to a 6 to 1 loss in Dustbowl, a map centered around defending and capturing control points.

To be fair, I spent a good bit of time trying several of the nine classes available, so I didn't expect to come out on top. Sniper was tolerable, but I don't know the maps well enough to find a good camping spot. The Spy was entertaining, but I enjoy shooting people more than that that class is designed for. The Scout class was entirely useless. This might have been that I simply don't know how to play the class, but it seemed I was dying about two seconds after my first glimpse of the enemy. This was mildly disappointing since in Quake 2 CTF I played offense and thought that perhaps my weaselly skills rocket dodging skills would translate. Quake 2 CTF was unclassed though, so I was used to having the same setup and abilities as the other players. Demoman seemed to suit me well since I can't aim for shit and the sticky bombs help make up for that fact.
T'all you fine dandies so proud, so cock-sure. Prancin' aboot with your heads full of eyeballs! Come and get me I say! I'll be waiting on ya with a whiff of the 'ol brimstone. I'm a grim bloody fable....with an unhappy bloody end!     -- Demoman



Games Played: 
Team Fortress 2

Achievements: 
Ready for Duty

1 comment:

Jill Dorsey || Made with Moxie said...

Jane's in love with the black Scottish cyclops. She was oohing and cooing at him.