Sunday, July 17, 2011

Day Eight

Ah, achievements - for the most part meaningless, but oh so much fun to obtain. Today's gaming offered an interesting spectrum of achievement philosophy.

SpaceChem takes a pretty hard core, you will earn this approach. SpaceChem has 17 available achievements with the top achievement, which happens to be the one I got today, only has a 27.7% global earn rate.

Shatter takes a mix of difficult achievements and game progress achivements, like the one I got today for simply beating level 8. Shatter has 30 achievements with the soft-toss top achievement for Shatter at whopping 94.5% global earn rate.

While today was my first experience with AI War, I'm would have guessed that a game with 234 achievements hands them out like candy on Halloween. I only got one today, but I only played three training levels. It turns out, nothing could be further from the truth. 192 (82%) of the 234 achievements available have less than a 1% global earn rate and only 10 of them have a global earn rate of greater than 10%.

Perhaps one day I'll do a master's thesis on video game achievement analysis.

Games Played: 
SpaceChem
AI War: Fleet Command
Shatter

Achievements: 
SpaceChem - Moustache Research Assistant
AI War: Fleet Command - Rainy Day Savings: 50,000 Energy
Shatter: Neon Mines

No comments: